Wednesday, January 30, 2013

New Releases (pretend it's) Tuesday!

Not a huge releases week, but what we lack in numbers, we (maybe) make up for in quality.

Prodigy by Marie Lu - Penguin Young Readers

The sequel to Legend is finally here! June and Day go to Vegas (Nevada represent) and join the Patriot rebels in order to continue their quest to be the most bad ass characters in YA lit. (I think Katsa still edges them out, but I'm slightly obsessed with her, so...) ANYWAY, it sounds like June is going to have a crisis of faith regarding the rebellion, and maybe the Republic isn't that bad? It probably is, but we'll see.

I will say that while I enjoyed reading Legend, it didn't stick with me like other comparable books. I might even have to go back and read it before I dive into Prodigy to remind myself of the characters. I do remember there was a lot of dirt and a mean government, but that's about it. That's probably a good blurb for the jacket, guys: Small-time blogger says "There's a lot of dirt and a mean government." Marketing gold.



The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd - Balzer + Bray

Retellings of classic stories are going to be a big trend this year, and what better way to kick it off than with a reimagining of The Island of Doctor Moreau, told from the perspective of Juliet, the crazy doctor's daughter (see also: the title of the book).

I've already read this one, and it's pretty entertaining, with the right amount of creepiness, animal hybrids, and love triangles Not with the animal hybrids though--it's not that kind of book. Recommended for a dreary day with a cup of tea and some time to kill.


No comments:

Post a Comment